Friday, July 27, 2007

P.A.N.T. #1

That's right, the inaugural post is here. By most criteria, I'm so far behind the blogging revolution that its almost laughable. However, I've been recently inspired to stand on my soapbox, but more so to communicate issues that I think are relevant to the world that I'm becoming a part of.
I've always been a fan of the sciences, and I recently started graduate school in biology education after working in the contract archaeology field for about four years on and off. I chose to move into science education in part because of the high demand for teachers and my love of the content, but there was a part of me that wanted to get my hands in the controversy. Its pretty clear that there is a strong anti-intellectual, anti-science movement in this country, and as a skeptic, unabashed atheist and cheerleader for a rational worldview, I felt like I could make a difference as an educator in the sciences. Debating creationists, pseudoscientists and those on the lunatic fringe can only do so much to enlighten the public; maybe as a biology teacher I can help to steer the worldview of young folks away from the dogma, before they decide to shut their minds to new ideas. I realize that such "noble" aspirations don't always come to fruition, but I guess I consider it my small contribution to society at large.
So, the plan is to post information about current events in the intersection of politics, religion and education. Scienceblogs, as a rule, are wonderful, and this is my feeble attempt to follow in the footsteps the likes of Pharyngula, Aardvarchaeology, Bad Astronomy, and all the other masters of science blogging around the net. We'll see what I can do.


By the way, the name of my blog is taken from the title of a Bad Religion song. Greg Graffin is great.

No comments: